Here you can find a collection of frequently asked questions.
Where is the ddnet config, config directory or save directory?
- On Windows you can simply press the windows key + R and type %appdata%/Teeworlds
- On Linux it is in ~/.teeworlds
- On macOS it is in ~/Library/Application Support/Teeworlds
Inside the settings_ddnet.cfg file will be your configurations/settings. The config directory can also be used as data directory to replace skins or other files, without modifying the client's data directory (note: it has the same directory structure as the data directory)
How to restore a lost save?
Inside the config directory there is a file called ddnet-saves.txt, it will contain the save codes.
My game skin, entities, autoexec or any other file was overwritten by an update, why?
During development we regularly replace, update, or remove files. The updater will overwrite any changes made to the data and binary directories. To make sure that your personal modifications don't get lost use the config directory instead, it has the same directory structure as the "data"-directory that comes with the client.
The game warns me about images, whose width or height are not divisible by #number, which causes visual bugs, what does it mean?
The game tries to give you and graphic designers the best experience. In order to archive that, it defines what the layout of its graphics should look like, so the artists can rely on consistency during their creative work.
For example: In Teeworlds the tile maps are small 16x16 images inside a bigger image. In order to render these tile maps correctly the game needs the image width and height to be divisible by 16, otherwise it can not determine where to split the tilemap into smaller tiles, else something called "texture bleeding" occurs, which is quite common in texture atlasses.
You can search the internet for more information about that.
Is there any documentation about the DDraceNetwork code?
You can find auto-generated docs from Doxygen here: https://wiki.ddnet.tw/docs/
There are also some blog posts that may help you.
How to play privately with my group of people instead of in public team 0?
There are multiple ways to achieve this:
- Join an empty official DDNet server, and vote any map you want in Escape -> Call Vote, or use "/map" in chat to search for a map. Join a team using "/team 23" in chat, you can /lock the team and /invite others to join it too. This means others can watch you play, and you get official ranks when you finish the map.
- Use a public service to host a public server, like Trashmap: https://trashmap.ddnet.tw/ You can upload any map you want, but you won't get official ranks this way.
- Run your own server locally, click on "Run Server" in the main menu in client, everyone in your LAN can join it. If you want your friends to join, give them your public ip address to connect to and forward UDP port 8303 in your router. To make your server show up in Internet tab in client, set sv_register 1 in data/autoexec_server.cfg and restart the server. Since the server runs locally you have full control over it, but no official ranks either.
What's weak and strong hook?
You can find information about this at the Hook page.
How can I get other players to see the skin that I created?
There are two ways to get other players to see your custom skin:
- Others manually add your skin to their game files by pasting it in the skins folder in the config directory.
- Your skin gets added to the official skin database and automatically downloaded for all other players.
If you are interested in the second option, your skin must meet a set of requirements in order to keep consistency with other skins in the database and the game's style:
- Resolution is 256x128
- Outline sizes consistent with other skins
- Fits the tee hitbox well
- No missing, misaligned or cut off parts
- No sharp or floating pixels
- No effects that clash with the game's art style (blur, glow etc.)
- Not too detailed or too plain
- Not an edit of an existing skin
- No elements that could be considered offensive
If you think your skin meets all of them, send it to one of the Skin Database Crew on discord for evaluation.