I really would like to enable wiki translations, but doing so right now would make the VisualEditor unusable due to it not being compatible with the Translate extension, you can view more about the issue here:
- We can choose right now, either disable VisualEditor and have translations or have VisualEditor and no translations. --Ryozuki (talk) 12:39, 3 March 2021 (CET)
- what about adding a different method of translation like in the openstreetmap wiki (e.g. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ID/Shortcuts)? Tbh I really like the VisualEditor. --Zwelf (talk) 16:49, 1 May 2021 (CEST)
- If u will add it pls notify me, i would translate major part of wiki into russian. --Anime.pdf (talk) 20:42, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- i guess the easiest way is to add /es es being the language code after the page you want to translate, e.g: Main_Page/es for a spanish version, and all the links will have to put /es --Ryozuki (talk) 20:54, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- Is it possible to use the same tool as Wikipedia, the "Content translation" (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation)? I see Wikipedia use it and also VisualEditor. --Rafaelff (talk) 12:17, 21 August 2021 (CEST)
- Yes, this extension would be useful for translators and regular users alike, but the inability to use VisualEditor might discourage new users --Mugenson1kku (talk) 09:49, 6 September 2021 (CEST)
Gif-like explain videos
Would it be possible to autoplay and loop the explain videos like they are gifs? In the old wiki we included them like this: `<video style="max-width:100%" controls muted autoplay loop src="/videos/jump-height.mp4" type="video/mp4"></video>` Zwelf (talk) 16:53, 1 May 2021 (CEST)
About embedding youtube videos
I would prefer not to load the youtube video on the main page. There is a extension to embed videos privacy friendly. Could we switch to this extension?
- Found on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo
- E-Mail notifications about changes on Watchlist
- Plugin: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Thanks
- Plugin: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews
Sorry I didn't answer before, I was a bit bussy, I will try to change the video embedding and add the recommended extensions soon, about email, i guess i can ask deen if he has a smtp server setup or maybe i can make it use mine. test Ryozuki (talk) 00:04, 13 May 2021 (CEST)
I updated mediawiki to 1.35.2, now im using buster-backports so its easier to manage, I also get the extensions using git checked out at the correct tag, which will make updating easier.
I changed the EmbedVideo extension to the one you mentioned, i also added Echo, Thanks and StructuredDiscussions.
Wikis turn me off when they have pages that are relatively empty and do not really contribute something meaningful enough to deserve its own page. Is there some smooth solution to maybe have pages be unreachable until they have meaningful content? In many cases, it's probably possible to just move the page into a subsection of a different page. I know we mostly want contributions, no matter how small, however new pages can litter over time and could in the future deteriorate the quality of the wiki. Maybe you have a different opinion or have thoughts about this? --Patiga (talk) 17:25, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- I don't think it's a concern we should have right now when the wiki isn't mature enough, we can always restructure and move stuff. --Ryozuki (talk) 18:04, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
Duplicate information leads to higher maintenance cost, which I would like to avoid. I do not think we need to copy information that is just as accessible in another place, especially we don't add new information to it. For example, imo we don't need the Version page (https://ddnet.tw/downloads/) and I'm also not sure about the 'Settings and Commands' page, although I'm not sure how much is just copied there. Other opinions, thoughts? --Patiga (talk) 17:25, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
- I really like not having to go outside the wiki to find all the information... but maybe thats just me.
- As for maintenance cost, there isnt much besides remembering to update them, if you go to the Talk pages of versions and settings and commands you will see those are generated by scripts made by me, so its pretty effortless to maintain. --Ryozuki (talk) 18:05, 2 August 2021 (CEST)
Organizing main page
is there any way to organize the main page a little nicer like this wiki: https://terraria.fandom.com/wiki/Terraria_Wiki where there are certain "blocks" of topics with links to the main subtopics? as of now it's a little odd to have to scroll down a bunch to see what you need + it's a little disorganized imo -louis
Add an Extra tools topic
DDNet has these extra tools with source located in "src/tools" folder in the source code repository. I even documented some info about it on DDRaceNetwork page on ArchWiki, but I feel those belong here instead. That page could be used as starting point for creating a proper Extra tools page. What do you think about it? -- Rafaelff (talk) 21:19, 21 August 2021 (CEST)
- I think that fits this wiki quite well. In general: anything edited in good faith related to DDNet/Teeworlds is very welcome here. We could also add some "external" tools to that page like those included in twmap (I might do that when you created the page) -- Zwelf (talk) 09:44, 22 August 2021 (CEST)