If you have further suggestions or anything else you want to write about, visit the official discussion thread for the wiki.
Goal of the game
As the name suggests, DDRaceNetwork is a race mod. The goal of the game is to reach the finish line. But contrary to other race mods, it is impossible to reach the finish line alone - DDNet requires teamwork!
Success does not solely depend on the skill of an individual player, but also relies on cooperation within a team of players.
The time it takes for a player to cross the finish line will be recorded under the player's nickname. A rank will be assigned to the time of the player's finish in relation to all other previous times on that map. While it is the goal of some players to finish a map in the fastest possible time (also known as "speedrunning"), others may prefer to socialize via chat and finish as a team.
DDRace differs from other combat-based mods (such as Vanilla or Instagib) because the difficulty of the race does not depend on the skill of opponents. Rather, it depends on the difficultly or "failiness" of individual parts or obstacles in a map. The term "failiness" refers to the tendency of a part to cause players to be stuck in such a way that further progress on the map is impossible.
In order to allow the mappers to create a variety of challenges, there are many game tiles (a.k.a. entities).
The most commonly used game tile is freeze. In DDNace, tees can be frozen, which causes them to be unable to move, shoot or hook - making them depend on the help of other tees.
There are also special mapper features, which allow the players in-game to get things such as a jetpack gun, infinite jumps, endless hook and more.
The normal weapons you may know from Vanilla are modified - they won't deal damage to other tees or yourself in any case. Furthermore you have infinite ammunition.
Every weapon has different effects:
- Hammer: Except of the damage, the hammer has the same physical effect as in Vanilla. Additionally, you can instantly unfreeze tees by hammering them. This also works through one tile wide walls (Wallhammer).
- Pistol: The pistol doesn't have any direct effect in the game, but it is often used to communicate with team mates. However there is a game tile that enables you to fly through the air, also called Jetpack.
- Shotgun: The shotgun does not shoot any bullets like in Vanilla - instead it has a pulling laser. When a shotgun-ray hits a tee, it will be pulled into the direction from where the ray came (the shooter or the place where it bounced off the wall).
- Grenade launcher, known as Rocket: The grenade launcher has the same physical effect as in Vanilla except of the damage.
- Rifle, known as Laser: The laser gun has an unfreezing ray. Whenever this ray hits a frozen tee, it will be unfrozen instantly. Unlike in other mods Laser and Shotgun bounce of walls multiple times.
- Ninja: When picked up, the tee mutates to a Ninja being able to move very quickly. You can shoot yourself through non-collide tiles or tees. Additionally it is possible to gain more speed in a flight case, which will allow tee to fly even further with a single shot. But be aware that this "mutation" only lasts for 15 seconds!
Press f1 (this will open the console), and then you can type there this binds.
bind k kill
Pressing k will kill you.
bind x toggle cl_showhud 0 1
Enable/Disable HUD (health bar, ammo, time and so on)
bind x toggle gfx_high_detail 0 1
Enable/Disable ‘High Detail’ (same as HD on/off in settings)
bind x toggle cl_show_quads 0 1
Don’t show/Show quads
bind x toggle cl_overlay_entities 0 100
Enable/Disable Entities (100%)
bind x +showhookcoll
Shows the hook collision line for better aiming (ddnet client exclusive)
bind x +toggle inp_mousesens 1 100
Lower mouse sense for improved hooking when you hold the key. NOTE: You should set 100 to your current inp_mousesens
bind c toggle cl_antiping 0 1
bind x zoom- OR bind x zoom+ OR bind x zoom
Zoom options. Zoom out, in or set to default value.
bind x "+show_chat; chat all"
bind x "+show_chat; chat team"
Show more of chat when you start chatting
bind x "+show_chat; chat all /c "
Whisper to the last person you whispered to
bind x "player_color_body XXXXXXXX; player_color_feet XXXXXXXX"
Bind feet and body color in one key
bind mouse2 "+hook; emote X"
Change the emote while hooking, you can add ;emote X behind all instructions (eg +jump).
- Don't block. Often the race progress is being delayed by blocking players. And only a part of them does it on purpose. Note: When you don't know what to do in a challenge, try to stay away from the action. Find a place from where you can have a look at the other tees without blocking them.
- Most communication in DDNet is not via chat. Watch the behavior of other tees. Teeworlds allows to show very different expressions. Observe other tees and try to understand what they want from you or others.
- Don't leave anyone. Often a group of racing tees fails because everyone tried to do the challenge alone. One by one fails. You should always help first when there is a tee that needs help. Leaving stuck tees behind could be a fatal fault, because that tee could be the one who rescues you next time.